11/13/2009

Institutional Friction

We've been havng a bit of trouble at our kindergarten. It's a long and convoluted story, but basically the director is trying to make the lunch experience so difficult and late for the kiddies that we will all pick them up early and feed them at home. And this right after the place was renovated and a bright new kitchen and large eating room was installed.

We, along with some other parents, have been vocal (though also constructive) in trying to change this policy. Now, I have noticed a marked coolness emanating from A's teacher (today he didn't even greet her when she came intot he room). He just said an absent-minded hello in passing in return to my greeting.
This is really upsetting to me, who tends to, admittedly, feel these things too keenly. I had expected a degree of professionalism; an ability to keep these things separate. I really do not wish for them to punish A, just because we (along with some other parents) are trying to instigate some change in an otherwise notoriously immobile institution.
I dread it, but there will have to be a TALK...I am not good at these things at all. I am just too shy and socially unskilled (especially in a language that is not my mother tongue). Should I regret our having spoken out? But keeping quiet would mean giving up any hope of doing any real work if I had to pick up the kids to feed them lunch every day.
This situation is so German. Here is an institution that is supposed to be supplying care to our children...which is supposed to enable us to go back to work...but which, in practice, does almost everything to make that impossible. They stilll haven't heard of customer service or satisfaciton here (at least in this sector). They don't actually see us as their customers. Isn't that just strange?

No comments: